(left) East end of Center Street Viaduct, spring 1914. Note the Mansard Roof of the Pacific Hotel, which had to be partly destroyed to make way for the viaduct. The old freight depot is north of the Pacific Hotel, with the peaked roof. The right angle bend was required by East Center Street merchants who feared they would be cut off from business if the east slope of the structure were continued to street level. Pocatello economic development has always been difficult, and sometimes stupid decisions had lasting impacts. This was one. Bannock County Historical Society Collection.
(center) View of West Center Street from Center Street Viaduct, August, 1915. The automobile had taken over personal transportation from the horse. The Kane Building, built in 1915, is the white brick structure on the south side of West Center. The hand written date on the photo is incorrect. Bannock County Historical Society Collection.
(upper right) West side of Center Street Viaduct over the Union Pacific tracks, summer 1912. This viaduct was the source of the term "going over town." Note the Indian riding a horse accompanied by his dog on the sidewalk. Three early motorcars are on the crest of the bridge. The Pacific Hotel (reduced in size) can be seen north of the viaduct. Bannock County Historical Society Collection.
|Parade with Santa Claus at the head on the west side of the Center Street Viaduct, December, 1913. Picture taken from the corner of Center and Main. The Hub Building is on the left, and the Pioneer Building is on the right. Bannock County Historical Society Collection.|
Center Street Viaduct
The Center Street Viaduct and the Halliday Street Subway were built in 1911 by the Union Pacific Railroad, on contract to the city of Pocatello, to allow traffic to cross the tracks without danger or interference with railroad operations. The viaduct opened Oct. 3, 1911, and the subway in August, 1911. The viaduct was replaced with the present subway in 1934.